Muharram 2017 Advisory
Dear Fellow Shia Muslims,
As a human rights NGO dedicated to protecting and promoting the rights of Shia Muslims globally, we are writing to bring to your attention the veneration and importance of practicing safety in your community in the month of Muharram.
Since Muharram is the time Shia Muslims openly campaign against the terrors of their time, they are subject to Shia rights violations. Every year thousands of Shia Muslims are either killed or wounded or their centers closed.
To prevent such violations and to insure safety of Shia community, SRW presents following tips with the aim of creating a united platform for expression that not only meets religious guidelines but also lends to international and domestic regulations.
We encourages you to pay attention to following advisory tips:
Know your rights as knowledge is key to rights,
- As constituents your nation, you have civil liberties. Familiarize yourself and your community with the nation’s defined human rights and freedom of religion.
Build a relationship with your community law enforcement
- Approach your community law enforcement and communicate your observations for the month of Muharram.
- Seek consultation from your local police department on the placement of security measures such as camera systems and alarms.
- Ask for increased security. In many communities, police provide special security for your institution given your coordination. Keep in mind increased security measures must be requested in advance.
- If needed, obtain the necessary congregation permits in advance.
Reach out to Government Representative:
- Meet with the governor and mayor of your town. Have a conversation of your concerns. Reach out and open a line of communication.
Be cognisant of your non-practicing community
- Recognize that you are a part of a larger community that may or may not commemorate Muharram.
- Respect local regulations.
- Reach out and communicate an increase in activity to neighbors and surrounding institutions.
- Prepare and provide brochure or pamphlets educating others on the significance and relevance of Muharram.
In case of a human rights violation, Know Your Resources!
- In case of emergency, contact your local police immediately.
- Contact Shia Rights Watch to inquire rights based counseling and broadcast.
- Use #Muharram2017 to update the international Shia community as well as media outlets of recent anti-Shia incidents.