Mustafa Akhwand is the founder and Executive director of Shia Rights Watch, with a background in Journalism and Media publishing. He is awarded by Human Rights Education Association for minority rights and certified human rights education trainer. He worked as an advisor for a number of non-violence organizations such as Freemuslim (Center for De-Radicalization & Extremism Prevention).
In addition to his work, he cost the podcast “Human Rights Sentinel“, hosting members of minorities in different regions to highlight the human rights violations against other minorities.
In promotion to his work in Freemuslim Association, he was assigned to work as a director for the organization for 2 years prior to founding and directing Shia Rights Watch.
Mustafa holds a BA in Applied Information Technology from George Mason University and a master’s in Conflict Analysis and Resolution from George Mason University and a master’s in business administration.
He founded Shia Rights Watch in 2011, a one of the kind organization with full concern for the humanitarian rights of Shia Muslims. He believes Shia rights are being violated around the world and we, as humans, must defend our collective rights. With Mustafa’s immense dedication, SRW obtained an ECOSOC within (3 years) of activity and now holds a special consultative status with the United Nations in Geneva and New York. Now, with a network of over 600 people. Shia Rights Watch plays a critical role in improving the quality of life for all minority populations around the world.
Mustafa holds a variety of certificates from NGOs, human rights, and peacekeeper organizations for his human rights advocacies.
Mustafa has received:
- Social Justice Leader Certificate from Freemuslim (Center for De-Radicalization & Extremism Prevention)
- Certificate of Appreciation from Amnesty International
- Certificate in Minority Rights Education from Human Rights Education Association
- Certificate in Conflict Analysis from the United States Institute of Peace
- Certificate in Capacity Building and Advocating for Peace from Adam Center for Defending Rights and Beliefs
- Certificate Mediation and Dialogue facilitation from the Center for Strategic Studies in Iraq
- certified Human Rights education trainer.
Mustafa works to spread his knowledge through his numerous publications in various digital news agencies. In addition, Mustafa is the author of the “Shia Sentinel” column.
Mustafa’s peace advocacy efforts span from West to East as he facilitates non-violence on the ground in war-ridden nations such as Iraq.
Due to security issues in some countries for defending Shia rights, the name of our team members is not mentioned here.